City / Area / Region:
The CSL Group Inc. (“CSL”) of Montreal, Canada is a world-leading provider of marine dry bulk cargo handling and delivery services. Through its major operating divisions, Canada Steamship Lines, CSL Americas, CSL Australia, CSL Asia and CSL Europe, CSL owns and operates a highly diversified fleet of specialized self-unloading vessels, off-shore transshippers and Handysize bulk carriers, and delivers more than 70 million tonnes of cargo to industrial customers annually. CSL's history can be traced back to 1845.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is the official representative of the company and acts as the manager of the vessel.
- Must comply with all the pertinent regulations regarding the operation of the ship
- Holds the ultimate responsibility for the vessel he or she is commanding and represents the final authority for everyone on board including Chief Engineer, all officers and unlicensed crewmembers
- Using navigational aids to determine the ship's speed and location, directs the piloting of the ship and avoids hazards
- Responsible for the safe transportation of the ship's cargo and ensures cargo is charged and discharged in accordance to maritime and company regulations
- Must ensure the safety of the ship, crew, cargo and the environment by ensuring that all maritime protocols and safety regulations are strictly followed
- Supervises the maintenance of all on-board equipment, including machinery, engines and safety equipment with regular inspection
- Maintains effective customer contact and responds to specific customer requests directly as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Postsecondary education at a maritime school
- Master Near Coastal certificate of competency issued by Transport Canada
- 2 years of experience as Master in the Great Lake Basin and Gulf of St Lawrence
- GLPA Pilotage Certificate
- Excellent leadership, supervision, coaching and planning skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
CSL offers a competitive salary, employee bonus program and comprehensive benefits package.